If you are looking for a small snack before bed time, try these sleep promoting foods:
- Almonds: They contain magnesium which promotes both sleep and muscle relaxation. And they have the added benefit of supplying proteins that can help maintain a stable blood sugar level while sleeping.
- Miso: Miso contains amino acids that may boost the production of melatonin, a natural hormone that induces sleep.
- Bananas: Bananas are an excellent source of magnesium and potassium, which help to relax overstressed muscles. They also contain tryptophan, which convert to serotonin and melatonin, the brain's key calming hormones.
- Turkey: Like Bananas, turkey contains tryptophan and like almonds they supply protein which maintains stable blood sugar levels while sleeping.
- Dairy: Also contains tryptophan plus calcium:Calcium is effective in stress reduction and stabilization of nerve fibers, including those in the brain.
- Oatmeal: Rich in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium all nutrients known to support sleep.
- Cherries: Tart cherries naturally boost the body's supply of the sleep hormone melatonin.