Greens beans are just coming into season and what a treat they are when they are so fresh! I put my own twist on this swiss way of cooking them and what a great dish it is! The fresh herbs I use in this dish make it taste wonderful. Summer savory is one of the best herbs for beans, which earns it it's german name: Bean herb. You can use just one of the herbs mentioned and multiply the quantity or use all or some of them.
- 1 pound of green beans, cut into halves or thirds
- 1/2 pound of tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2/3 cup of water
- 1/2 bouillon cube (I like Rapunzel, whole foods, berkeley bowl)
- 2 sprigs or 1/2 teaspoon of marjoram, oregano, thyme, summer savory each. Cut the herbs if you are using fresh ones.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a heavy pan
- Add onions and garlic, saute for a few minutes
- Add green beans and tomatoes, saute for 2-3 minutes
- Add water, bouillon and herbs.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until done.