Summer squash is in season; these yellow and green beauties they come in many shapes and sizes and can be cooked in many different ways. This soup is very easy to make and can be done in under 20 minutes. Because soup freezes so well, I always make extra. There is nothing better than being able to pull a healthy, home-cooked meal out of the freezer after an extra long day at work! So be aware that the ingredients in this recipe are for 8 servings.
Also, for those who do not like curry, you can make this soup without it!
- 3 pounds of mixed summer squash (or just one kind, such as zucchini), cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 3 cups of broth
- 4 teaspoons of curry
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
You will need a blender to make this soup.
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil
- Add curry powder just as onions and garlic turn soft and saute for a couple of minutes
- Add zucchini/squash, coat in onion, garlic and curry mixture
- Add broth, salt and cilantro
- Cook until zucchini is soft, about 10 minutes
- Add lemon juice, zest and tabasco sauce
- Puree in blender and enjoy!