On hot days, like the ones we are having now (103 degrees where I live yesterday!), all I want for dinner is a nice cold vegetables salad with something like grilled chicken, seafood or tofu. I came up with this version for last night's dinner and it came out great.
- 4 golden beets
- 2 medium heads of broccoli
- 2 medium peaches
- 1/4 cup olives
- 1/4 cup of walnuts
- 1 tablespoon of apples cider vinegar
- Juice from one lemon
- 1-2 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil beets fro 30 to 40 minutes, until tender
- Place them in a bowl with cold water and slide the outer skin off them, it will come of very easily.
- Cut beets into thin rounds, place in bowl and drizzle with apple cider vinegar and lemon juice while hot. Place them in the fridge to chill.
- Cut broccoli into small crown pieces, steam until tender, place in fridge to chill.
- Let the veggies chill for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cut peaches in to bite size chunks
- Gently mix broccoli, beets, peaches, walnuts and olives.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper.
Note: drizzling hot beets with vinegar and lemon juice makes them taste less earthy and sweeter. As a result even people who usually dislike beets find them tasty.