Balinese Coconut Rice
This is a delicious breakfast dish I learned how to make when I visited Bali many years ago. It is easy to make and liked by all! I changed the ingredients just a bit to make it really healthy. Instead of using coconut milk only, I use coconut water and just a bit of coconut milk. If you want more creaminess without the fat, use a bit of vanilla soymilk. Because it takes a bit of time to make it, (about 45 minutes) I recommend you plan to make it on a leisurely weekend morning.
- 1 Cup Black forbidden rice (in bulk at whole foods)
- 1/3 can light coconut milk (trader joe's)
- 1 cup coconut water trader joe's)
- Unsweetened vanilla soymilk (optional)
- Walnuts - handful
- 1 large banana - sliced
- Dried,shredded coconut - handful
- 1 cup Water
- Put rice in medium size pan
- Add coconut water and water
- Put on full heat, almost bringing it to a boil ~ lower heat, just like you would if you made regular brown rice
- Add coconut milk
- Add more water as needed or vanilla soy milk (soy milk makes it creamier)
- After about 30 minutes add walnuts, banana and coconut.
- Continue to cook until rice is soft, about 10-15 more minutes
I don't add any sweetener to the dish, I don't like foods that are overly sweet, and the bananas give the dish a natural sweetness. If you need to, you can add a tad of maple syrup at the end.
The dish can be served warm or cold.