Lentils with Soba Noodles and Greens (vegan)
This is a simple menu that you can put together in just 20 minutes. However, it does require thinking ahead: you have to soak the lentils. I just cover the dried lentils with water in the morning before I leave for work. Doing that significantly reduces cooking time.
- 1 cup of lentils, green, brown or black
- Ginger (fresh is best), thumb size
- Garlic, 4 cloves
- Curry powder
- Coriander powder (optional)
- Turmeric powder (optional)
- Cumin powder (optional)
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- Soba noodles
- White wine for cooking (2 buck chuck)
- Sesame oil
- Soy Sauce
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat water in pan for soba noodles.
- Press garlic, use 2 cloves for lentils, 2 for greens.
- Saute garlic for lentils in small pan with little bit of olive oil.
- Add Curry powder (and other spices if you are using them) to warm oil.
- Grate fresh ginger with lemon zester (very small grater) and add to pan.
- Drain soaked lentils and add them to pan.
- Add water (cover lentils well and add water as needed.
- Cover and cook until tender, add salt or soy sauce to season five minutes before they are done, about 15 minutes
- Saute garlic in little bit of oil in large frying pan for the greens.
- Add greens.
- Add white wine (about 1 cup), add soy sauce and red pepper flakes
- Cook on low heat with cover on pan until done, about 5 minutes
- Add soba noodles to boiling water (and a bit of salt), cook until done, about 3-4 minutes (do not over cook!)
- Drain noodles and add a bit of sesame oil, for taste.
Serve and enjoy!