Sauteed Nettles and Kale:
Nettles are in season right now. They are rich in iron and make for a nice add-on to your sauteed veggies. I get mine at the farmer's market, and, lucky for me, they come washed in a bag so I don't have to touch them! They will sting if you touch them before they are cooked, so the best way is to place them right from the bag into the pan.
I saute them with other vegetables, such as kale.
- Olive oil
- White wine
- Miso (optional)
- Red pepper flakes
- Saute garlic in olive oil in large pan
- Add washed, cut kale and nettles
- Saute for about 3 minutes
- Add about 1/2 cup of white wine
- Let the liquid heat up briefly so the alcohol can evaporate
- Add a bit of water
- Add miso (optional), about 1 tablespoon
- Add red pepper flakes
- Cook on low to medium heat with top on pan for about 5 minutes, until veggies are tender