This is a wonderful dish that the brings flavors of Morocco to your dinner table!
- 2-3 table spoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 - 1 table spoon honey (optional)
- 1 cup of dry black beluga lentils
- 4 medium size carrots, cut into rectangular pieces
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely cut
- Lemon wedges
- Put dry lentils in a bowl and cover with water IN THE MORNING.
- EVENING: Heat oil in a heavy casserole pan, add onion, garlic, sauté until soft
- Add all the spices and sauté for a couple more minutes.
- Drain the soaked lentils, add to pot together with carrots, add just enough water to cover lentils and carrots, cover with a lid.
- Cook gently for about 15-20 minutes and add water as needed.
- Season with salt.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with lemon wedges: squeeze lemon juice on dish just before eating it. Serve with your favorite veggies and rice or whole grain couscous.