- Different kinds of whole grain rice: brown rice, black forbidden rice, wehani, wild rice, black japonica, brown jasmin rice
- Different kinds of pasta: whole grain, spelt, regular, rice, quinoa
- Soba Noodles
- Bulgur (cracked wheat)
- Whole wheat couscous
- And for the more adventurous souls: spelt, millet, barley, farro
- Dry black beluga lentils (they cook fast)
- Dry green or brown lentils
- Dry yellow lentils (fastest cooking time of all lentils)
- Canned lentils
- Canned black an/ or kidney beans
- Dry black or kidney beans (they take a long time to cook, only buy if you are up for that)
- Canned garbanzos (or dry if you are up for cooking them from scratch = takes time)
- Any other canned beans that look good to you; I like black eyed peas, cannellini and navy beans. Eden Foods has a huge selection.
- Dried mushrooms
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Raw nuts and seeds: almonds, walnuts, pumpkin, sunflower, sesame and whole flax seeds, pine nuts
- Oats: steel cut or regular
- Pancake mix
- Dried fruit: cranberries, raisins, figs, prunes, apricots, coconut, etc. (preferably without sulfides)
- Pasta sauce in glass jar
- Tomatoes in glass jar (Eden Foods)
Miscellaneous Canned Foods:
- Canned fish: Wild salmon, herring, trout, tuna
- Green chilli pepper (great for black bean soup)
- Light coconut milk
- Soups (watch sodium content)
Canned foods: note that the majority of cans are made with a plastic lining that contains BPA. Eden Foods and Trader Joe's cans do not. The exception to that are tomato products. Because tomatoes are acidic, the lining is requires otherwise the metal would be "eaten away". Alternative: Eden Foods tomatoes in glass jars.
- Soy sauce or Bragg's Amino Liquid or Coconut Aminos
- Hot Sauce
- Nut butters: almond, tahini (sesame), etc.
- Certain oils: toasted sesame oil, flax oil
- Olives and olive tapenade
- Tofu, Tempeh (left un-opened it will last for 10 days to two weeks, check expiration date.)
- Brown Rice
- Miscellaneous veggies: peas, mixed veggies, chard, edamame etc
- Berries: blueberries, raspberries, etc.
- Healthy prepared foods such as Kashi Pizza, Amy's foods
- Seafood: wild shrimp, scallops
- Chicken breast, turkey meat
GMO FOOD ALERT: Make sure to buy only organic corn and soy products (incl. Edamame). Non-organic soy and corn are GMO foods.
- A variety of dried herbs: oregano, marjoram, dill, basil, rosemary, thyme, sage, bay leaf.
- A variety of spices: turmeric, coriander, cumin, cardamon, cayenne, curry, pepper, safran, allspice, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, paprika, fennel seed, mustard seed, cloves, vanilla,nutmeg.
- Healthy bouillon (like veggi bouillon cubes from Rapunzel)